Students want inexpensive laptops to do daily tasks, as well as some games. Other features they are looking for are a good screen, a lightweight device, and one with a battery life that lasts an entire day, along with a decent keyboard, all of which should be under $500. There are many manufacturers that produce laptops taking into account It features these requirements, many of which are available within the budget price of $500. Let’s take a look at some of the best college student laptops under $500.
Bare Essentials on a Student Laptop
HP Stream 14, 14 inch
This is a fairly lightweight student laptop that comes in 13.3 x 8.9 x 0.7 inch dimensions and weighs 3.17 pounds, made of lightweight plastic. The screen is 14 inches with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. It is powered by the Intel Celeron N3060 processor which runs at a speed of 1.6 GHz up to a maximum of 2.48 GHz. This is paired with the Intel HD Graphics 400 and 4 GB RAM, with 32 GB eMMC internal storage.
Battery life lasts a good few hours 7; Therefore, it is enough for students to spend an entire day of class. Some applications, like HP Orbit, come pre-installed, but there are also some programs that you can remove. It has all the basic ports with 2 USB 3.1 Generation 1 and one USB 2.0 HDMI 1.4, along with headphone output. The performance is sufficient for web browsing and writing documents.
- This is a laptop that is ideal for students and for business purposes.
- Those who want an affordable laptop that comes with a long-lasting battery.
- Suitable for streaming video from Netflix or YouTube and for playing simple games, but no more than that.
- For those looking for a colorful and simple option at an affordable price.
See it on Amazon
Elegant and premium design
Lenovo IdeaPad 320, 15.6 inches
It has a simple but elegant design available in a gray plastic cover. The dimensions of the Lenovo Ideapad 320 are 21 x 13 x 3 inches and weigh 4.9 lbs. There are multiple ports with 2 USB 3.0 ports, a USB Type-C port, an RJ45 port, a power jack, a headphone jack, and a 4 in one card reader. The display screen is 15.6 inches and comes with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels along with a backlit display and anti-glare features.
It is powered by the Intel Core i3-7100U processor with a quad-core AMD A12-9720P processor running at a speed of 2.7 GHz and turbo boost up to 3.6 GHz and 2 MB cache. The RAM is 8GB DDR4 with 1TB hard drive storage. The graphics card is an integrated AMD Radeon, R7. The average battery life is around 4.5 hours.
- College students looking for a sleek, premium design at a bargain price.
See it on Amazon
Attractive laptop with great overall performance
HP Pavilion 15T, 15.6 inch
The HP Pavilion 15 is a mix of metal with plastic with a 25.6-inch screen and a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. It is powered by Intel Core i5 7200U processor at a speed of 2.5 GHz chipset that operates at a speed of 1.6 GHz, with Turbo up to 3.4 GHz. As for graphics, it has the integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 and a RAM of 8 GB, capable of offering solid performance to gamers.
As for the ports, there are 3 USB 3.1 generation 1 with two Type A and one Type 3. Along with these, there is an HDMI port for connectivity. The dimensions of the HP Pavilion are 9.69 x 14.8 x 0.9 inches and the weight is 4.85 pounds. The battery life is decent and offers approximately 6 hours of use.
- College students looking for an attractive and engaging laptop with solid overall performance.
- Those who want a laptop for work and play, with solid gaming skills.
See it on Amazon
HP Pavilion x360 14-inch
It has a premium look, but is quite heavy at 1.6 kgs. The display screen is 14 inches with Full HD IPS and offers support for the HP Stylus Pen. The screen resolution is 1366 x 768 pixels. It comes in a foldable and collapsible design, so you can use it for presentations, in tablet mode, etc. using the 360 degree hinge. Since it is a convertible, you can put it in different positions. It comes with an active stylus, which supports 1024 pressure levels; Therefore, you can use it to scribble, and the screen response to pen input is fast and efficient.
It is a clear winner in terms of performance, since the laptop has the Intel Core 8th Gen i3 8130 processor and 8 GB RAM. When it comes to graphics, it has an integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620 UHD GPU. It is heavy at 1.7 kg.
As for the ports, there is a USB 3.1 port and a 3.5mm audio jack on the left and an HDMI port, a USB 3.1 port and a USB Type-C port and a memory card slot on the right.
- College students looking for solid performance at a reasonable price.
- Those who want a reliable but cost-effective laptop that meets all the basic requirements.
- Useful for those who want to use their laptop for light gaming, watching TV or movies.
See it on Amazon
Best Laptops with All the Basic Features
Lenovo IdeaPad 330, 15.6 inches
It is made entirely of plastic with a matte finish and weighs around 2.1 kg. The laptop comes with a hinge that folds back to 180 degrees so it’s comfortable to work in all positions. The display is a 15.6-inch backlit HD LED display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. It is powered by an 8130 Intel Core 8th 3U chipset that syncs at a rate of 2.2 GHz with Turbo mode up to 3.4 GHz. It has a 4 MB SmartCache and is paired with the Intel UHD Graphics 620. The size of RAM memory is 8 GB DDR4.
As for the ports, there are 2 USB 3.0 Type A ports and one USB 3.0 Type C port, along with an HDMI output and a headphone jack. The dimensions of the Lenovo IdeaPad 330 are 14.9 x 10.2 x 0.9 inches and weigh 5.74 pounds. The battery life is approximately 4 hours, depending on the applications that are running and the brightness of the screen.
- Ideal for college students and light activities, checking email, playing YouTube videos, etc.
See it on Amazon
Acer Chromebook R11 Convertible, 11.6 inches
It is a convertible that can be switched from clamshell mode to tablet mode with a 360 degree hinge. This is an 11.6-inch touchscreen with a colorful display and a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. It has a clean white chassis with an aluminum top with a textured bottom that makes it easier to grip. The hinges allow you to switch to four modes, laptop, outward facing screen, a tent, and a tablet. Chrome OS plays in all of these modes.
The dimensions of the hybrid laptop are 11.6 x 8.03 x 0.76 inches and they weigh 2.7 pounds. As for the ports, all the basics are available, with a USB 3.0 port, an HDMI port, an SD card slot and another USB 2.0 port. It is powered by Intel Celeron N3150 processor and has a RAM size of 4GB with 32GB eMMC and a battery life of 10 per hour. The hard drive is 32GB SSD and is paired with an Intel HD Graphics coprocessor. Dimensions are 8 x 11.57 x 0.76 inches and it weighs 2.76 pounds. It is light and has a colorful screen with decent performance combined with good battery life.
- College students who want a pretty good Chromebook with decent performance skills.
- Students who want a Chrome operating system with the usual Google applications integrated with automatic updates.
See it on Amazon
Balanced budget option
Lenovo Chromebook C330 Convertible, 11.6-inch
It has a good balance between price and performance, offering excellent Android applications, being a Chromebook. It is powered by Mediatek MT8173C processor and is combined with PowerVR GX6250 graphics adapter with 700MHz core. The processor is powerful enough for web browsing and general office and student work. The graphics card is sufficient for light loads and can handle 1080 pixel videos. Most of the popular Android games can be played effectively and even some heavy titles are playable.
It is made entirely of plastic but is solid and strong. It can be easily rotated in tablet mode using the hinge. It is a fanless design; Therefore, it is completely silent and manages heat efficiently. It is also energy efficient and has a decent battery life of about 10 hours.
The screen is 11.6 inches of bright IPS with a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. The port options are suitable with the USB Type A and Type C ports, as well as the HDMI 3.0 port.
- Suitable for college students who want a Chromebook and access to Google apps.
- Those who want to enjoy a rich multimedia experience with great color accuracy.
- Those looking for a budget Chromebook with good build quality and ease of use.
See it on Amazon
Solid construction at budget price
ASUS Chromebook Flip C101PA-DS04, 10.1 inch
It is a compact device with a battery that lasts a good 12 hours. The laptop is a convertible and comes with a touch screen. The RAM is 4 GB and it has a 32 GB storage that offers a fast and fast performance. The screen is 10.1 inches from the WXGA screen with a resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels. It is also lightweight at just 2 pounds and is 0.6 inches thick. It is powered by Rockchip RD3399 Quad Core processor at a speed of 2.0 GHz. This is combined with an ARM Mali T860 MP4 graphics coprocessor. It is a Chromebook; Therefore, it runs on Chrome OS and comes with automatic updates and all of your favorite Google apps.
The design is inspired by a silver finish MacBook with black keys and bezel, making it look classy and elegant. The hinge is fully flexible and can be easily switched to tablet mode. It has a battery beast, which is clearly a highlight of the device, which lasts all day.
The dimensions of the ASUS Chromebook Flip are 10.4 x 7.2 x 0.6 inches and they weigh 2 pounds.
- College students looking for a solid build laptop available at an affordable price.
- Those who want a compact laptop that can be easily used on a train or in a small bedroom space.
- Those looking for a solid laptop to use for jobs, light media and for browsing.
See it on Amazon
Rock Bottom Price
Lenovo Ideapad 100S, 11.6 inch
This is a low power consumption LED backlit 11.6 inch screen and HD screen with a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. It is powered by the Intel Atom System Processor at a speed of 1.33 GHz with 2 MB Cache and 32 GB eMMC Flash memory and 2 GB SDRAM. You can run some demanding office applications as well as old gaming applications without much difficulty.
As for the ports, there are 2 USB 2.0 ports, an HDMI port, a microphone, and a combo headphone port. It weighs 3.3 pounds and is slim at a thickness of 0.7 inches. Dimensions are 12.5 x 8.8 x 2.8 inches. The case is made of polished aluminum and gives it a premium look. The hinges are sturdy and fully fold to 180 degrees, so you can get excellent viewing angles.
Battery life is good in about 11 hours of normal use.
- Suitable for college students who want a budget notebook that is well designed and portable.
- Those who want a good performance of Google office applications and games.
- Those who want an inexpensive laptop with a large battery.
- Suitable for those who use Gmail, video streaming, online shopping, Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, and normal browsing.
See it on Amazon
Durable design for young college students
ASUS Chromebook Flip C213A-YS02-S, 11.6 inch
This is an ASUS wallet-friendly option with an 11.6-inch touchscreen. Being a Chromebook, it runs on the latest Chrome operating system, so college students can easily install and use Google apps from the Google Play store. It is a robust and sturdy laptop that can withstand a drop from around 3.9 feet. Repairs can also be done easily as the battery and motherboard are modular.
It is a convertible and the screen can be turned in 360 degrees to be used in tablet mode as well as in stand and store mode. When it comes to ports, there’s a headphone jack, a micro SDXC card slot, a USB 3.0 port, and a USB Type-C port.
The display screen is 11.6 inches and comes with a 1366 x 768 pixel resolution with anti-glare features and excellent viewing angles. It is powered by Intel Celeron N3350 chipset and is combined with 4GB RAM and integrated Intel HD 500 graphics, which are perfectly efficient at tackling Chromebook tasks for college students.
Since it runs on Chrome OS, you can access all of Google’s services, with most apps running offline, but an internet connection will help you take advantage of all the features of the operating system. The battery life is impressive at around 11 hours of normal use. In summary, the ASUS Chromebook Flip is a robust and solid student laptop, offering different modes, decent performance, and long battery life.
- College students looking for a good-quality, durable laptop with a long-lasting battery.
- Those who want a flexible and wallet-friendly laptop option.
- Useful for college students who need a laptop for general browsing purposes, document creation, photo editing etc.
See it on Amazon
When selecting a laptop for college, students should consider that they need a device that works efficiently with regard to web browsing, as well as playing and watching movies, completing assignments, case studies, etc. The above are some of the best college student laptops and are available at a budget price of less than $500. Hopefully, we have simplified the selection process for you with this short guide.
SaleBestseller No. 2
ASUS Chromebook C202 Laptop- 11.6" Ruggedized and Spill Resistant Design with 180 Degree Hinge,...
- Ready for drops and spills with rugged construction with reinforced rubber guards, easy grip handles, and a spill resistant keyboard
- Lightweight 2.65 pound body and rugged construction that can be dropped from 3.9 feet so you can take it anywhere without disruption
- 11.6 inches HD 1366x768 anti-glare display, with 180 degree hinge for easy viewing
- Powered by the Intel Celeron N3060 Processor (2M Cache, upto 2.48 GHz) for fast and snappy performance
- 4 GB DDR3 RAM; 16GB flash storage; No CD or DVD drive; Power adapter: Input: 100 -240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal. Output : 19 V DC, 2.1 A, 40 W
Bestseller No. 3
Lenovo Flex 11 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop, 11.6 Inch HD Touchscreen Display, Intel Pentium Silver...
- POWERED BY INTEL: The Lenovo Flex 11 packs a punch with powerful Intel Pentium processing, 4 GB DDR4 memory and speedy 64GB of eMMC SSD storage
- ON THE GO LAPTOP: Weighing in at just 2.75 lbs. and constructed with premium materials, this small, convertible laptop transitions seamlessly from work to play
- VERSATILE CONNECTIVITY: With multiple ports including USB 3.0, Type-C, HDMI, and a 4-in-1 card reader, you’ll be able to hook up your laptop computer to your existing devices with no fuss and no extra purchases
- DYNAMIC ENTERTAINMENT: Featuring HD resolution on an anti-glare touchscreen and the crystal-clear sound of Dolby Audio Premium, the Flex 11 provides the quality of a home theater in compact form
- REDESIGNED WITH YOUR COMFORT IN MIND: The Flex 11 features an ergonomic keyboard for maximum comfort and a redesigned touchpad for a more precise user experience with multi-finger gestures. Touch, click, and zoom—you’ll feel the difference
SaleBestseller No. 5
SOLDIERKNIFE Durable Waterproof Anti Theft Laptop Backpack Travel Backpacks Bookbag with usb...
- LOTS OF STORAGE SPACE&POCKETS: One separate laptop compartment hold 15.6 Inch Laptop as well as 15 Inch,14 Inch and 13 Inch Macbook/Laptop. One spacious packing compartment roomy for daily necessities,tech electronics accessories. Front compartment with many pockets, pen pockets and key fob hook, make your items organized and easier to find
- FUNCTIONAL&SAFE: A luggage strap allows travel laptop bag fit on luggage/suitcase, slide over the luggage upright handle tube for easier carrying. Tighten the breast strap can stabilized the center of the gravity of the backpack. A small anti-theft pocket located on the lower back keeps your passport, wallet, phone and other valuable items safe and handy. Internal shockproof belt for fastening your laptop and iPad, preventing them from sliding and bumping
- USB PORT DESIGN: With built in USB charger outside and built in charging cable inside,this usb backpack offers you a more convenient way to charge your phone while walking. Please noted that this backpack doesn't power itself, usb charging port only offers an easy access to charge
- COMFY & BREATHABLE: Adjustable shoulder straps and back side comes with comfortable and breathable sponge mesh design, relieves the stress of your shoulder. A comfortable airflow foam-pad back design with soft, multi-panel breathable mesh padding with good heat dissipation and not get clammy, offering your back maximum back support. A foam-padded top handle makes it a carry-on
- DURABLE MATERIAL&SOLID:Made from DURABLE nylon fabric with Two "S" curve PADDED shoulder straps,offers LIGHT-WEIGHT Carrying and of force reinforcement,perfects for business traveling, weekend getaways, shopping, professional office work and other outdoor activities. Also, a perfect college high school student backpack for boys,girls,teens,women and men