How does one actively stay awake in class?
If there’s one universal experience that every college student shares, it’s falling asleep in class. Sometimes no matter how hard we try to stay awake, how much coffee we drink, or how much gum we chew, there’s just no avoiding it. There’s something about the combination of sleep deprivation, a boring lecture, and a warm winter coat that makes dozing off more irresistible than a box of kittens with puppy faces and baby hands and feet. We all have our own unique ways of trying to beat this problem, but if you’ve tried everything and need a few more suggestions, here is my list of five drastic yet doable strategies to stay awake in class (All of these have been tested by yours truly).
1. Get a giant cup of hot coffee, spill some on yourself, drink all the coffee, don’t allow yourself to pee. This method works because you’ll be in pain in a few different ways.
2. Send a weird picture to your crush, then don’t check your phone till after class. The stress and adrenaline will probably keep you awake for the entire class if the picture is weird enough.
3. Try to catch the eye of someone across the room, when you finally do, mouth some unintelligible words and try to get them to understand—this could go on for a while as long as you’re committed—It’s also good because this will keep them awake too.
4. Plan the next five years of your future, paying attention to details like which friends will probably abandon you and how you’ll phase out your teenager wardrobe with no income. If you want, you can make a big chart using colorful pens.
5. Make a game out of it: Check what time it is on your phone, and go by the last digit on the clock
- Prepare yourself.
- Eat one M&M.
- Untie, then re-tie your shoe.
- Think about something embarrassing you did in your past.
- Give an inanimate object a suitable human name.
- Pinch yourself really hard.
- Inhale some water, try to contain an embarrassing coughing fit.
- Designate someone behind you to kick you.
- Twist in your chair and crack your back. Then just crack other body parts.
- Write in impeccable cursive for a whole minute.