Just like its tricky characters, the popular Showtime series (with seven seasons streaming on Netflix) has got some unknown secrets of its own:
Here are ten facts you probably didn’t know about the top trending show Shameless on Netflix and Showtime featuring Emmy Rossum and William H. Macy
*some spoilers ahead*
1. It’s actually a remake of a British TV show of the same name
The UK version aired in 2004 while it’s US recreation aired in 2011. Both versions are available on Netflix!
2. Justin Chatwin (Steve) used to eat smelly foods before filming intimate scenes with Emmy Rossum (Fiona)
These two actors have a notorious reputation for pranking each other on set, with one of the most long-running jokes on Rossum being Chatwin’s excessive eating of smelly foods like tuna right before their kissing scene. Think about that next time you watch Fiona and Steve going at it.
3. Woody Harrelson was originally cast as Frank
Harrelson signed up with the series creator to star in the show. However, the airing date kept getting pushed back and he dropped out of the project after Zombieland was released.
4. The pool Fiona and Steve make love in during season one is the same pool from Cruel Intentions
The swimming pool in which Fiona and Steve go skinny dipping in episode 7 of the first season is the same one used in the 1999 film Cruel Intentions, located in the Millenium Biltmore Hotel, in Los Angeles.
5. Patsy’s Pies is real (sort of)
The diner where Fiona works during the later seasons of the series actually exists in Chicago, though under a different name. The real place is located on Lincoln Avenue and was called Golden Angel diner, but it has now sadly been permanently closed.
6. Jeremy Allen (Lip) and Emma Greenwell (Mandy) are a couple IRL
Jeremy Allen and Emma Greenwell who play Lip and Mandy on the show have a tricky relationship as characters but a well established one off-screen. Shippers of this couple can rest easy, they do live happily ever after!
7. Even though it was established in season three that V couldn’t have children, that changed in season four because actress Shanola Hampton actually got pregnant
Though it wasn’t twin girls like on this show, her son “Doc” weighed in at 7 lbs., 6 oz., and measured 20 inches long and is named after his father, Daren Dukes, Hampton’s husband of 16 years.
8. Creator John Wells has a “no script” policy on set
Most actors read and rehearse their scripts before and during takes while filming, but this is not allowed on set for the Shameless cast. The actors are required to know all of their lines by heart, yikes.
11. When Steve asks Fiona to meet him at “O’Hare airport” in season one the airport depicted is actually Midway International
Midway Airport is way on Chicago’s Southside and O’Hare Airport is on Chicago’s Northwest side.
10. It’s sadly not actually filmed in Canaryville
Although it takes place in Canaryville, a small town in Chicago, none of its sequences were actually filmed there. The Gallagher’s house is located in North Lawndale, also in Chicago. The production team visits Chicago a couple of times a year for exterior shots, but everything else is filmed in a studio in Los Angeles. Three cheers for Hollywood magic!