With the Super Bowl quickly approaching, everyone is basically in NFL nirvana. But not so fast, there are some aspects about the league that can really be a drag. Does anyone really know what a catch is anyways? One sport that doesn’t mire you down in all of the bog is rugby. Here’s some things the NFL could borrow from the Rugby World Cup!
- Everything is reviewable: fouls, scoring, everything.
- Referees can ask for reviews: How many times has a referee made a snap decision when they really have no idea what happened? No more! Now a referee can just say, let’s go to the tape, we’ll figure it out.
- End zone celebrations: DOGPILE! That’s it. It would just be fun.
- Point after attempts: Instead of kicking from the 35 yard line, set the ball at the point on the two yard line where the ball crossed the goal line in someone’s possession. Kicks after become significantly harder, it adds another level of strategy, and more high drama two point conversions!
- Referee microphones are always on: Remember the Cam Newton/Ed Hochuli spat? This would also allow the NFL to be a little more transparent.This would also open up the NFL to the possibility of sassy referees! Quite possibly one of the weirder YouTube rabbit holes to fall down that’s still sports related.
- Fat guy touchdowns? Fat guy touchdowns. (about 2 minutes in) We had the giraffe, Now we have the rhinoceros! Bonus points because he looks like Chris Farley. If Chris Farley was a world class rugby player for the third best team in the world and built well, yeah, like a rhinoceros.
- Fat guy Field Goals? Well… (3:20) He tried…
- More David Pocock, Less Greg Hardy: Pretty self explanatory…